Under the supervision of the head sailing instructor, this part-time position performs a variety of functions in support of the CCC sailing program focusing on teaching children to enjoy sailing as a life-long sport. The program’s emphasis is on small sailboat handing in a variety of conditions, understanding how and why a sailboat moves and basic seamanship. Advanced classes build on the basics and focus on refining sailing skills, introductory racing tactics and basic navigation. The Assistant Sailing Instructor will work 4 days a week, approximately 20 hours per week.
Orientation: June 17-21. Classes: June 24-August 16. Cleanup & Storage: Aug 19-23.
- Work with the head instructor to plan lessons, manage and teach classes on basic and advanced sailing with a focus on safety at all times.
- Organize classes and ensure the students are actively and enjoyably engaged.
- Help maintain the sailboats and the chase boat.
- Teach and model small sailboat handling in a variety of conditions, how and why a sailboat moves and basic seamanship.
- Greet students and parents.
- Assure all forms are completed and on file.
- Assist with transporting students to and from sailing site.
- Move sailboats and chase boat from winter storage to mooring for summer and return after program complete.
- A friendly, helpful attitude and must enjoy working with children ages 8 to 16.
- At least 16 years old.
- Minimum of 3 years sailing experience, US sailing certification preferred.
- Prior work experience with children, such as camp counselor or sailing instructor.
- Knowledge of proper boating safety, basic sailboat maintenance including rigging and hull repair and the ability to handle small powerboats.
- Ability to remain calm and cool headed in challenging situations.
- Ability to take charge in the event of an emergency.
- Applicant must pass a standard background check.
- Basic first aid, as well as water and boating safety techniques.
- Strong swimmer.
Duties are performed on beach and in water. Physical demands could involve swimming, lifting, moving small sailboats, engines and other equipment.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required.
Contact: Pam Stenson, Program Manager | email@example.com | 617.842.0807