Share your love and knowledge of sailing while inspiring and teaching children to enjoy sailing as a life-long sport. For novice sailors, the program’s emphasis is on small sailboat handling in a variety of conditions, basic seamanship and understanding how and why sailboats move. The successful applicant will help more advanced students to refine sailing skills, develop and implement basic racing tactics, and understand basic navigation.
The program is taught using our fleet of 6 sunfish on the protected waters of Cape Pogue Bay; classes are limited to 12 students and meet 4 days per week for a total of 20 to 25 hours. The successful applicant may earn extra money teaching adult sailing lessons using the sunfish or a larger boat available to the CCC. If inclement weather is predicted “dry” classes an drills will be taught at the CCC.
Salary: $18/hr depending on experience.
Orientation: The program runs June 29, 2020 – August 21, 2020 with staff training and orientation beginning Monday June 22, 2020.
Energetic, organized and kid-friendly (ages 8 to 12+).• 18+ yrs. with minimum 1 year college.
Enthusiastic sailor with at least 3+ years experience; US Sailing Level 1 or equivalent experience required.
Prior work experience with kids 8 to 12+, such as camp counselor or sailing instructor.
Knowledge of basic first aid, boat safety, maintenance of rigging and hull repair.
Ability to handle a small power boat.
First Aid Certification and ability to handle emergency situations.
Must pass standard background check.
Manage sailing program, plan lessons and teach classes with focus on safety at all times.
- Organize students, assess skill levels, and assure their engagement.
- Inspect and maintain sailboats and the safety boat including minor repairs.
- Greet registered students and parents and assure all forms are completed and on file.
- Walk registered sailors between the CCC and the sailing site (approximate 15 minute path walk).
- Prepare “dry deck” lesson material for inclement weather days.
- Be a strong mentor, educator and leader for the assistant sailing instructor
Prepare and transport sailboats and chase boat from winter storage to mooring for the summer and return after program is complete.
Contact: Pam Stenson, Program Manager | firstname.lastname@example.org | 617.842.0807